We are seeking a versatile mechanical or aerospace engineer who can plan, lead, and execute across a variety of engineering tasks including mechanical design, fluid/thermal analysis, experimentation, and reporting. The position requires excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and strong engineering credentials.
The ideal candidate will have deep technical expertise and the ability to work independently and with a team across multiple and varied projects.
Indicators of a good fit
- You are humble, yet produce excellent work
- You have real world engineering experience through research, projects, internships, etc.
- You understand fluid/thermal systems and are not afraid of getting your hands dirty prototyping and executing experiments
- Familiar with instrumentation, DAQ, and minor scripting
- You are familiar with manufacturing methods including 3D printing and machining
- You enjoy working with people and moving projects forward in a fast-paced environment
- You are hard-working, operate well under pressure, capable, trustworthy, and loyal
You’ll be doing the following
- Designing new devices, creating prototypes, and developing hardware for space technologies
- Applying expertise to implement and instrument fluid, thermal, and mechanical systems
- Writing project reports documenting technical progress and data
- Collaborating with prime contractors and government agencies including NASA
- Developing CAD models of parts and assemblies in SolidWorks
- Participating in flight qualification (for space hardware), operations, and crew training
- Working with inhouse and with manufacturers to produce parts, prototypes, and test devices
You’ll need these skills
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (we use SolidWorks)
- Excellent proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Analytical ability in fluid/thermal and mechanical systems
- Excellent technical writing and documentation skills
- Familiar with manufacturing technologies and methods
We’re looking for these attributes
- Humble, strong work ethic, and trustworthy
- Thoughtful with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly, grow, and adapt
- Computational: CFD or FEA
- Data Acquisition: LabView or Similar
- Software: Scripting Language
- Robotics: Automation
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Preferred MS with industry experience
- US citizenship required
- Some travel may be required
Compensation, Benefits, & Location
IRPI offers medical, dental, and retirement benefits as well as generous paid time off. Salaries are competitive and based on education and experience. You will be working out of the Wilsonville, OR office. This is not a remote work job.
Send a current resume that includes the following at a minimum:
- Education (include degree, institution, and dates)
- Work Experience
- Project Experience
- Skills and Proficiency
- Sample Writing (if applicable, thesis, dissertation, publication etc.)
A resume doesn’t say much about who you are, yet that is something that is very important to us. If you’d like to get a priority review, write a short cover letter telling us about yourself. Some ideas: What do you value? What’s your current life or work situation? What are some interests of yours? How do you like to spend your free time? In general, we’re looking to understand you as a person (as opposed to work skills).
Please send resume + (optional) cover letter to email@example.com OR include both with any LinkedIn/third-party submission. Hiring will be rolling until filled. Due to the large volume of applicants we will only be responding to potential candidates, typically within two weeks of receiving an application.
IRPI is a small research, development, and engineering company that specializes in advanced space exploration technologies. We work primarily with aerospace customers including NASA, private space companies, and aerospace contractors. Our culture is innovative, flexible, versatile, fast-paced, and demanding.
IRPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.